Tips On Buying Land For A Chalet Build In The Alps
Updated: Sep 12, 2019
We love making the Alpine chalet dream come true for our clients - and it all starts with finding the right plot of land to build on.
Our Kingspan SIPs (Structurally Insulated Panels) construction system allows for easy, quick construction even on difficult mountain terrain. But if you're starting your search for constructible land it's worth bearing in mind there are ways to make your build easier and cheaper - by following our tips.
1. A steep site is not a cheap site. Building on a slope means digging into the earth and necessitates extra concrete works, which are one of the most expensive parts of any build. You may benefit from great views from a hillside plot, but finding a flat site will save you time and cash.
2. Are there services already connected? If so, you've just saved tens of thousands of euros and a lot of time getting them connected yourself.
3. Check how much sun your plot gets year-round. A site that's bathed in sun when you view it in June might just be in darkness all of December, especially if you're surrounded by mountains.
4. Ask at the Mairie to see the PLU (Plan Locale d'Urbanisme) - the local council's plan for all the land in the area. Check if your site is categorised as 'constructible' and what's happening with neighbouring plots. The PLU will also explain what can be built there and in what style.
5. Find out if your plot has had a soil survey. That will determine whether the ground is suitable for shallow foundations. If clay or solid rock are found, more costly groundworks will be required.
6. Get to know the area and view the land on a cold, wet, rainy day when it's looking at its worst. If you still love it, go for it!
With all that advice in mind, take a look at some of the plots of land available in and around Morzine and the Haute Savoie. We've gathered these together from our friends at Morzine Immobilier - contact them directly for more details and viewings.
You can also contact ECSUS Design for a free initial consultation if you're considering a plot of land for a Kingspan SIPs chalet.
Land For Sale In Samoens
One of, if not the best views in the entire Giffre valley. 3 parcels of buildable land are for sale in a dominant 100% south facing position, above the village of Verchaix, just 5 minutes by car to Samoens. Each plot has direct access from the road (no cul de sac shared acces), all with the ability to build a very large chalet of well over 250m2 habitable. Plot A: total of 3587m2, including 2068m2 buildable: 200,000€ Plot B: total of 4869m2, including 2109m2 buildable: 190,000€ Plot C: total 2668m2, including 1577m2 buildable: 160,000€
Land For Sale In Essert Romand, Morzine
Just 5 minutes drive from Morzine, in the village of Essert Romand, 6 buildable plots ready for developmnt. 484 m² : 179 000 € 743 m² : 275 000 € 563 m² : 208 000 € 655 m² : 243 000 € 863 m² : 320 000 €